U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced that on November 28, 2022, while performing routine website updates, it unintentionally posted a document on ICE.gov that included names and other personally identifiable information (PII), along with immigration information, of approximately 6,000 noncitizens in ICE custody. The information was posted for approximately five hours before being removed, ICE said.
On December 7, 2022, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) notified ICE that during its routine communication with the government of Cuba related to removal flights, DHS unintentionally indicated that some of the 103 names of individuals previously provided for removal processing were part of the ICE PII disclosure that occurred on November 28. ICE said that 46 of them were part of the previous ICE PII disclosure and 57 were not. All of these 103 individuals are Cuban.
For affected noncitizens subject to a final order of removal, ICE has delayed their removal for at least 30 days. The 30 days will be calculated from the time notification is provided to the noncitizen, ICE said. The noncitizens who were in custody “are being notified of the incident and the removal hold via hand delivery and almost all of those who were not in custody are receiving the notification via United States Postal Service,” ICE said.