The Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) Ombudsman released tips on how F-1 students seeking Optional Practical Training (OPT) can avoid delays in processing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. The tips include:
- Check USCIS’ website for updates before you submit Form I-765.
- Make sure Form I-20, Certification of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, is signed, dated, and endorsed for employment authorization.
- Apply online.
- Submit Form I-765 within 30 days or 60 days of the Date Issued by the Designated School Official on the Form I-20.
- Submit a properly completed Form I-20 together with Form I-765 at the same time.
- Update your mailing address with both USCIS and the U.S. Postal Service (USPS)