Miller Mayer immigration attorney Steve Yale-Loehr was quoted by China Daily regarding the recent one-week EB-5 program extension. “Congress did this to give itself more time to try to resolve some big-ticket items like additional funding for the military and healthcare reform. The additional week also gives members of Congress time to try to finalize an EB-5 reform package,” he said. The article is at http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2017-05/01/content_29151167.htm.
Miller Mayer immigration attorney Steve Yale-Loehr was quoted in “Kushner Uproar Latest Blow To Beleaguered EB-5 Program,” published in Law360 (subscription required) on May 9, 2017. “Congress is close to a consensus on how to reform the EB-5 program,” he said, noting that the Kushner EB-5 uproar could “hasten legislative efforts to reform the EB-5 program.” The article is at https://www.law360.com/articles/921763/kushner-uproar-latest-blow-to-beleaguered-eb-5-program.
Miller Mayer immigration attorney Steve Yale-Loehr was also quoted by the New York Times and marketplace.org on May 9, 2017, and was interviewed on May 10 by National Public Radio, about the Kushner EB-5 project:
- New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/us/politics/kushner-china-visa-eb-5.html. For developers, he said, the appeal of EB-5 can be summed up in two words: “Cheap money.”
- Marketplace.org: https://www.marketplace.org/2017/05/08/economy/what-eb-5-visas-jared-kushner-s-company-touted-china-are-supposed-do
- NPR’s All Things Considered: http://www.npr.org/2017/05/10/527817898/kushner-family-dealings-prompt-calls-to-reform-eb-5-visa-program
Miller Mayer immigration attorney Steve Yale-Loehr was quoted in “Governing: Cities, States Move to Calm Fear of Deportation,” published in Governing.com on May 10, 2017. He said local laws about sensitive locations, like many sanctuary policies, have little legal weight: “They’re largely symbolic. There’s nothing to prevent ICE from waiting on the courthouse steps or in public areas to arrest somebody if they want to.” Only federal legislation, like that proposed in the House and Senate, could regulate how ICE is allowed to operate, he said. The article is at http://www.governing.com/topics/politics/stateline-Cities-States-Fear-of-Deportation.html.
Miller Mayer immigration attorney Steve Yale-Loehr was also quoted in the following media regarding recent immigration-related developments:
- CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/politics/9th-circuit-travel-ban-hearing-round-two/
- PBS Newshour: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/cities-states-fear-deportation/
- Huffington Post: Trump Isn’t Fighting Human Trafficking, He’s Facilitating It: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-isnt-fighting-human-trafficking-hes-facilitating_us_590a339ee4b03b105b44bec9
- Cornell Daily Sun: ICE Agents Arrest ‘Unlawfully Present Mexican National’ in Ithaca: http://cornellsun.com/2017/05/02/ice-agents-arrest-man-in-ithaca/
- TV interview re immigrant arrested by ICE agents in Ithaca: http://www.twcnews.com/nys/central-ny/news/2017/05/3/immigration-attorney-weighs-in-on-man-detained-by-ice-in-ithaca.html
- Sinotf.com re EB-5 program extension: http://www.sinotf.com/GB/News/Enterprise/2017-05-04/5NMDAwMDIzMzQ5Nw.html